Private Region auto-saves and restores (rollbacks)
|Note: We don't perform rollbacks on mainland regions.|
All regions, including your estate, are automatically backed up at regular intervals throughout the day; we hold several days' worth of these backup states. This saves everything about your estate: the terrain, the land parcels, the builds, the textures and settings. The only things not saved are avatars themselves.
This means that under certain circumstances, your region can be rolled back to a previous state. In the event of an emergency, you can request a rollback via the Concierge service. Performing a rollback can have serious consequences and should therefore not be thought of as an "Undo" feature on your estate; rather, it's a safety mechanism to be used only when something goes very badly wrong.
Rollbacks are performed at our discretion.
Requesting a rollback
Rollbacks must be requested via support ticket and can only be requested by the estate owner or estate manager.
Generally, regions can be rolled back a maximum of 72 hours before the original event; please be aware that we cannot roll back indefinitely. The longer you wait before requesting the rollback, the greater the chance that we will be unable to help you, so do make the request as soon as the problem occurs.
- What has happened.
- Why you need the rollback.
- Which region it is.
- Precisely how far back in time you need to go to repair the situation.
|Tip: It helps if you provide the time in 24 hour format. Please use Pacific time, not your local time.|
If you have a basic account and are an estate manager, you can submit a ticket through the Support Portal. Log in and choose Land & Region from the What type of problem are you having? dropdown menu. Specify Request a rollback in the second dropdown andfill out the form below.
We are not responsible for problems caused by estate managers requesting rollbacks against the estate owners' wishes.
Rollback requests are processed in the order they are received, with emergency requests taking precedent. Please note that rollbacks that are not time sensitive may take up to 2 business days to process.
The backups taken are exact copies of the state of the region at the exact moment it was saved.
We cannot roll back inventory or avatars.
When we perform a rollback, we set the estate back to the exact state it was in when the backup was made. All changes — everything that has happened between the moment the save happened and now — are lost, undone or reset.
It is very important to understand what this means before you request a rollback. Some examples of unexpected consequences of a rollback include:
- People who are banned become unbanned for all parcels and the estate itself.
- People granted access suddenly find they are banned.
- Any land parcel changes are undone.
- Land sold or abandoned to tier down reverts to the prior owner, potentially pushing that person back over the new tier.
- Residents lose any land purchased after the backup, along with any content on that land.
- Recently edited parcel layouts revert to their prior form.
- Objects placed (rezzed) inworld after the backup are lost. No-copy objects are lost for good.
- Conversely, no-copy objects rezzed at the time of the backup but subsequently taken back into your Inventory reappear where they were.
|Warning: Deliberate use of rollbacks to obtain additional copies of no-copy content can be considered abuse and is dealt with accordingly.|
- Any changes to builds themselves are undone: textures are reverted and prims reset to the state they were in at the moment the backup was taken. This may mean that recent tenants lose their prefab or their furniture and that new sale items disappear.
- Any terraforming that has been done is undone and any recent changes to land textures are lost.
- Script changes to objects performed after the backup point are lost. Scripted vendors that updated with new content after the backup have those changes removed.
As you can see, rollbacks have significant repercussions and should only be requested when absolutely necessary.